- How adorable is this sweater! perfect for my Maine trip (If I go) and cool nights at the beach!
- I could/should have worn this to my Aunt’s lovely “Going Away” Party for my parents 🙂
Fortunately, I have never been a big drinker. In fact, I very rarely drink now. I just don’t like the way it makes me feel. I love my mornings and feeling my best. I am so grateful that I do not struggle, yet I do struggle with other enslavements. Here is an excerpt that I think ANYONE can relate to. If alcohol is not an issue, insert with what is, still relevant! (full article here, Why I Gave Up Drinking)
Ultimately, the best connections happen when two people feel comfortable not only with each other, but also with themselves. It took time for me to re-learn who I really was without alcohol, but time was something I now had in abundance. When you’re drinking, hours seem to pass by in the blink of an eye. One minute you’re sitting down to a late dinner, the next you’re tumbling out of a cab at 2 a.m. When I stopped drinking, I started experiencing every minute of my day, and I gained space for more meaningful activities.
- Practicing Not allowing criticism to affect me This one is my favorite “Don’t waste your energy trying to change opinions…Do your thing, and don’t care if they like it.” — Tina Fey
- I avoid many “trackers”. They seem purposeless to me and don’t enjoy discussing stats. I do use a sleep app, that tracks my sleep patterns, which I will remove now. I got what I needed from it, its consistent and I have determined what I need to do in order to get a great nights rest. So while I DO think trackers can be helpful, I also think they are a MAJOR distraction. Preventing us from actually DOING. It is easier to turn to an app, track our food, fitness, sleep, bowels, periods, whatever, than to actually do something about our discomfort and unhappiness (SPOILER, our unhappiness usually not about our diet, fitness, etc, its larger scale things)
Despite the initial enthusiasm for fitness tracking, she reports, the first large-scale experimental study to compare fitness trackers with non-trackers found no differences in health outcomes between the two. Later she cites a study in which trackers’ behavior initially changed before reverting back to normal: “The novelty does wear off,” she writes, “and then we return to our baseline behavior.” Read the entire article here
- It’s Not Failing to Leave a Toxic Relationship (romantic or platonic!)
- Another point for minimalism. I find myself getting further and further away from consumerism, and guess what? It feels great! ” Buying Too Much Stuff is Driven By Uncertainty” If you do any of the following, READ :
You are going on a trip, and you’re feeling a bit nervous about it, so you do research and buy a bunch of stuff to take with you to help you feel more secure, prepared, certain.
You’re going to attend a conference, and it brings up some anxiety, so you get some gear to help you feel more prepared.
You get into a new hobby, and don’t know what you’re doing so feel a lot of uncertainty, and do a ton of research for days, buying everything you can possibly think of to be fully prepared.
You are hosting a social gathering and this is giving you some stress, so you buy a bunch of things to make sure the party goes as well as you can hope for.
You are feeling a lot of disruption and uncertainty in your life, and find yourself procrastinating on things while doing a lot of online shopping.
You are feeling uncertainty about yourself, about your looks. To help with that, you buy a lot of nice clothes and gear to make you feel better about yourself
This really does come down to stubbornness, can we take a moment to stop, slow down and think about the situation differently? I love the author’s tip, try to picture that person that is frustrating you as a child. You would not feel the same frustration (or maybe you would?) I do genuinely think people don’t purposely try to harm or hurt or frustrate others, sometimes It really is just us, our perception our impulsivity, trying myself to practice a little more patience. Wish me luck!
- What happens when we compromise our CORE VALUES? Something that is important to me is being honest with myself and others. I am receiving SO MUCH resistance with this and it is taking its toll. Sometimes being honest is not what I or someone else wants to hear, but it is……….honest. I apologize if you don’t like it. My intentions are never to hurt you, but I can’t continue to force myself to do and say things that don’t feel “right” for me. This makes me want to crawl out of my skin and SCREAM off the top of my lungs at times. Then am questioned why am I being so sensitive or cranky? Because I am tired of stating and saying the same honest things over and over and over again, without being actually heard. Honestly, I have a voice and sometimes others don’t want to hear it. I am constantly questioned or persuaded to change my mind. It pushes me further away from others and does not feel good in my body or my mind. It is difficult to be honest. I am not heartless and understand that most actions by others come from a place of love, but really I feel like there is so much judgment all around. For being different than others (Not sure I really am all that different, just more honest) Why do others feel the need to FIX people instead of focusing on themselves? It is easier to not focus on yourself. It is difficult to say to yourself that you are wrong. It is difficult to drop the beliefs that are so ingrained in us from childhood. Yet, we are all different, no one should be judged and nagged for their decisions or actions. We can’t control others, we can only control ourselves and our reactions. I am guilty of this as well! I am far from perfecting this skill, yet I am aware and present when and why I judge.
The Girl He Used to Know I enjoyed this book immensely! The twist at the end was shocking. A lovely story about Annaka, who is wavering on the “spectrum”. Made me gain such an appreciation for my brother. My students and even myself. Life is hard. It is a struggle for all of us
Daisy Jones and The Six (Currently listening on audio) Woah, I did NOT expect to enjoy this so much! The audio version is incredible! It uses different voices for different characters!! What an amazing vibe and feels like you are right there with them!!!
My Oxford Year – have not decided yet how I feel about this one, so far so good!
Relationships. RESPECT > LOVE. Yes!!! Do you agree? read the article and let me know!
- I ordered my first pair of sustainable sneaks!! I can’t wait to try them out and will share my thoughts!
- Dead plants. My beautiful plants are not doing so well. This wet weather has drowned them, they look sorry, I think a few have crossed over to the “other side” Also my flower pot is NOT draining water, so its a big messy swimming pool for my flowers 😦 My indoor plant is doing well, but the outside ones, not so much.
- This Buddha Bowl looks amazing!
- I don’t shine if You don’t shine. SHine THeory
- How to find a counselor, therapist or coach.
- I am currently obsessed with Lemons. My aunt made a beautiful Lemon Cake yesterday!
- Yikes. Oddly, I have always been drawn to creepy dolls, not sure what the appeal is/was, BUT I don’t think I’ll be purchasing any …..